Naples and surroundings and next Events
LA VILLA COMUNALE
It is a magnificent, immense public garden, with oaks , pines, palms, eucalyptuses, by the side of Riviera di Chiaia,it goes from Piazza Vittoria to Piazza della Repubblica.
The area pointed out on the sea ( via Caracciolo was constructed in the XX century): in the late XVI century many trees were planted and some fountains were settled. In the late XVIII century, for willing of Ferdinand IV, becomes a public walk, assuming the similar shape of today. In the center of it the “toro farnese” was settled, one of the greatest Hellenistic work, which is currently admirable in the National Museum of Naples, and in 1825, it was replaced by a fountain made of a huge porphyry tub, coming from Paestum and remained long time in the entrance hall of the “Duomo di Salerno”.
In the “Villa” we can admire also many neoclassic style statues, moreover,we can also see the “Cassa Armonica” (kiosk of music).
There is even a Zoo station (aquariun),a scientific institute of world-wide reputation, for the study of the fauna and the marine flora, founded in the 1872 by the naturalist Antonio Dohrn from Stettino.