Naples and surroundings and next Events
THE CAPUANO CASTLE
Castel Capuano Commonly known like “Vicaria”, or Palace of the Court (currently it gives hospitality to some offices while the main center has been transferred to the Directional Center).
It was founded by the normann king Guglielmo II called “the Malo” in the XI century and took its name from the near Capuana Door; widened by Federico II, It was the royal residence also after the construction of the New Castel.
The Queen Giovanna sheltered herself when New Castel fell in hand of the Aragoneses; the famous murder of Ser Gianni Caracciolo happened in it (very wellknon event of history of Naples). As a result of the loss of independence of the reign,it lost its function of “royal palace”. However It gave hospitality in 1535 to Carl V, who donated the castle to a his knight, Filippo di Lannoy,who made it to modify and to embellish. In 1540 it was transformed by don Pedro di Toledo to palace of justice and with other works It lost at all the ancient shape of fortress.
Inside there are remarkable art works.