Naples and surroundings and next Events
THE MASCHIO ANGIOINO
The name of Machio Angioino derives from “mastio” (main tower) made to construct in the 1300 from the Angioini: It is also called “New Castle” in reference to the more ancient castle (currently Castel Capuano).
Its shape is a lot changed by the time from the first tower that dominated the port. Alfonso of Aragon, conquered the reign in 1443, made it to rebuild on one structure to several towers. Later on he came encircled from towers and fortifications then pulled down in 1939. The visible structure now corresponds to the one of ‘500 and it articulates itself on five cylindrical towers encircled from a deep ditch. The two main towers they lock up the magnificent door of the triumph of Alfonso the Magnanimous that celebrates the income in Naples.
Inside: the “Cappella Palatina”, the historical hall Barons where the communal council gathers.We can also admire the Civic Museum and moreover some communal offices.